At The Farnborough Academy we work closely as part of an inclusion team to identify and assess pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, to support pupils with learning difficulties and to advise teachers in the best ways to meet each individual’s needs. We currently cater for pupils with a wide variety of learning difficulties, together with physical and sensory needs, social, emotional and mental health issues.
The Farnborough Academy has its own Learning Support Unit (LSU) which welcomes all pupils, but especially those who require additional support outside of the classroom environment. We provide breakfast, break, lunch and daily homework clubs to support pupils who may prefer a quieter environment. We have 6 Learning Support Assistants (LSAs) who are highly skilled and passionate about the work that they do with individuals and small groups. This support may be part of your child’s lessons or as part of an intervention programme to help with the progress of literacy and numeracy.
- A copy of the Nottingham Local Offer is available here.
- A copy of the Spencer Academy Trust SEND policy is available here and the Code of Practice here.
- The SEND Information Report is available here.
- The Farnborough Academy Inclusion Policy (including the SEND policy and accessibility policy) is available here.
- A copy of the Parent Referral Form is available here.
We run half termly SEND specific parents evenings throughout the year where you will have the opportunity to meet and discuss your child and the support they are receiving. These evenings will not be to discuss your child’s subject progress but there will be members of the learning support team at all other parents evenings.
Dates for your diary 2020/2021 – SEND specific review evenings:
- Thursday 17th September 2020 – Year 7 only
- Thursday 15th October – Years 7 to 11
- Thursday 10th December – Years 7 to 10
- Wednesday 10th February – Years 7 to 11
- Wednesday 24th March – Years 7 to 11
- Thursday 6th May – Years 8 to 11
- Thursday 24th June – Years 7 to 9
You are also welcome to contact the SENCO (Mrs J. Rivers) and make an appointment to meet throughout the year firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful Links and Resources
There is a wealth of information available to parents/carers on the internet. You may find it useful to look at the following websites:
- National Parent Partnership Network
- Futures (Careers advice and information)
- British Dyslexia Association (BDA)
- Autism support
- National Autistic Society (NAS)
- Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)
- National Deaf Children’s Society
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
- Inclusive Education Services (IES)
- Dyslexia Action
- British Institute of Learning Disabilities
- National Autistic Society
- Special Needs Jungle
- Ask Us Nottingham | Flyer
- Independent Support